Clinical students are in MMSD schools for what is usually a brief period of time, observing but not interacting with MMSD students. Like all district volunteers/observers, a background check will be required if the individual will be working in an unsupervised capacity with MMSD students. Due to the nature of these observations, MMSD HR anticipates that these university students would be under supervision at all times and should not require a background check.
Practicum students typically have shorter placements than student teachers, and more frequent placement changes. They have more closely supervised contact with students.
- Partner colleges and universities report all practicum teachers to HR prior to the start of the semester.
- HR runs a background check on all practicum students who are placed in our schools, but practicum students are not required to visit HR for fingerprinting.
- Practicum students, like all volunteers or visitors to an MMSD school, must check in with the main office to obtain a visitor pass.
Student teachers typically have longer (full semester or full year) placements in a school, and have increased visibility, exposure, and connection with our students. For this reason, it’s important to conduct a more extensive background check and ensure all student teachers have ID access cards prior to arriving at any of our schools.
- Partner colleges and universities report all student teachers to HR prior to the start of the semester.
- HR invites student teachers to be fingerprinted by Fieldprint (for a background check) and issues an ID access card.
- By the time a student teacher arrives at any of our schools, the student teacher will have an ID access card and an approved background check on file in HR.
Student interns may have a placement that aligns more closely with a practicum experience, or one that more closely mirrors a student teaching experience. To determine what is required for these pre-service professionals, we work with our partners and reach out to those students whose experience warrants fingerprinting.
- Partner colleges and universities report all student interns to HR prior to the start of the semester.
- HR invites those interns to be fingerprinted by Fieldprint (for a background check), if warranted.
- Student interns, like all volunteers or visitors to an MMSD school, must check in with the main office to obtain a visitor pass.