Wisconsin Act 125 mandates that training in the use of restraint and seclusion is required for any school staff member prior to using physical restraint or seclusion. Participation in this 1-day training is for the safety of our students and staff. MMSD’s Nonviolent Crisis Intervention (NVCI) training is designed to assist you in learning how to effectively prevent emotional and behavioral escalation as well as assist a person who has already escalated. Stages of emotional and behavioral escalation are described, and each stage is paired with a positive action plan for educators and teams to prevent escalation or support an already escalated student to de-escalate. The content emphasizes proactive interventions and supports, State of Wisconsin legal requirements, MMSD guidelines, and appropriate restraint and seclusion techniques. Each participant will be expected to pass a legal quiz, as well as demonstrate proficiency in implementing appropriate restraint techniques.
Employees in the following job categories MUST complete the 1-day* NVCI training prior to employment, or at the earliest possible time after employment begins.
- Building Administrator
- Behavior Interventionist or Behavioral Education Assistant (BEA)
- Social Worker
- Speech/Language Clinician
- Occupational & Physical Therapist
- VI and DHH Teacher and staff
- Special Education Teacher
- Special Education Assistant
- Substitute Special Education Assistant
- Professional-Instructional (PR-Is)
- Security Assistant
- Nurse or Nurse's Assistant
INITIAL TRAINING DATES:
Please click on link... https://drive.google.com/drive/u/1/folders/0ADlM6HCrf1MJUk9PVA
NVCI Re-Certification Training Dates
Please click on link..... https://drive.google.com/drive/u/1/folders/0ADlM6HCrf1MJUk9PVA
- Course content questions? Contact Brian Holmquist at (608) 663-5878
- Don’t know your employee number and/or email address? Contact the Technical Services Helpline at (608) 663-5853
- Don’t have an employee number yet, and need to register immediately? Contact Kristi Meyer at (608) 442-2972
*Current certification in Nonviolent Crisis Intervention (NVCI) may allow for a waiver of MMSD's NVCI training. Contact Kristi Meyer at (608) 442-2972 or firstname.lastname@example.org to submit a copy of your prior training certificate.