Principals (or Designated Student Teacher Representative)
Pre-service teacher placements are coordinated between the college/university and the principal or designated student teacher representative at each school. HR is tracking placements made at each school and may help facilitate placements when our college/university partners need assistance. Our goal is to develop and support a pipeline of dynamic teachers while maintaining the safety and security of MMSD students.
When you receive a placement request directly from a college/university:
- Check the List of College and University Partners to be sure that the college/university has a MMSD affiliation agreement
- Determine if you can accommodate the request for a placement in your school based on: the placement meeting the needs of your school, reflecting a district/school shortage area, and/or availability and willingness of a strong cooperating teacher who can mentor the teacher
- Connect your recommended teachers with the college/university representative
- HR will reach out to college/university partners prior to the start of the semester to get placement details and facilitate security steps (ie background check & ID badge) with students.
All pre-service teaching placements are facilitated through the school principal. Anytime a college or university contacts you regarding a student placement, please be sure your principal has approved it.
In order to host a student teacher, you must meet the Cooperating Teacher Criteria as determined by the state legislature and followed by each partner college/university.
WI DPI rule, PI 34.15(6), requires cooperating teachers to meet these criteria:
- Hold a Wisconsin license, or an equivalent license where the clinical program occurs, and have volunteered for assignment as a cooperating teacher or practicum supervisor.
- Have at least three years of teaching experience with at least one year of teaching experience in the school or school system of current employment.
- Have completed training in both the supervision of clinical students and in the applicable WI Educator Standards.
If you are selected as a Cooperating Teacher, the placement details and student information will be reported to Human Resources prior to the start of the upcoming semester by the college/university.
Many of our college/university partners also solicit observation/practicum/etc. placements for their students. Each institution will have its own requirements to determine who can host these pre-service teachers.